Getting camping working with fcgi on a shared host (DreamHost), part 1

Posted by Tim Connor Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:04:00 GMT

Since I’ve been splitting up an app into an rails admin section and a separate camping front-end, I need to get camping working on the host to deploy. And that host, for this app, happens to be DreamHost, which means it’s gotta be fcgi. I’m not all the way done with that, but after a late night last night, I managed to get it running on fcgi locally. I’ll skip over the basics (for one thing, if you haven’t gotten this far yet, you are going to need to struggle through it to be familiar enough with what is happening to have a chance of finishing the process) until I have it all worked out smoothly, but I have to post a couple highlights, to spare some people with the same pain.

First off, no luck running off of edge. The only way I got it working consistently with mongrel, cgi (crucial for debugging and figuring out why things aren’t working), and fcgi, was to use the gem release (1.5.180), and patch that (keep reading). Once I had that running smoothly with the built-in server and then cgi, I got it working with fcgi. If you have the same problem I did, you’ll get an “`camp_do’: undefined local variable or method `exc’” error. THis is because there is another problem, which is throwing an error, but there is a bug in the exception handling code. Manually fix that (change e on to exc in the exception catching, so that it is defined), and then you can move on to the next issue, since your exceptions will now actually get through to the log, or the screen, depending on how far you’ve made it, and you can use them for more debugging.

If you have my problem, you can track down the next error to the path variable not being populated right in the fastcgi.rb


def camp_do(req)
root, path, dir, app = “/”
if ENV[‘FORCE_ROOT’] and ENV[‘FORCE_ROOT’].to_i == 1
path = req.env[‘SCRIPT_NAME’]
else
root = req.env[‘SCRIPT_NAME’]
path = req.env[‘PATH_INFO’]
end

Wether or not I set ENV[‘FORCE_ROOT’] the wrong server variables are being set for camping to know the right path. This shows up as gsub on nil errors, or “/dispatch.fcgi not found”, or some others, depending on exactly which way you are running things. This all comes back to not being able to use ScriptAlias, as in the wiki, due to only having .htaccess level access. And using RedirectRule and other mod_rewrite stuff that workins in .htaccess (I actually just stole that right from my rails .htaccess) populates things a little bit different.

My fix was to set “ENV[”FORCE_ROOT"]=1.to_s" in my dispatch.fcgi, and then change the corresponding “path =” line to match what my set-up was populating -req.env[‘REQUEST_URI’]. I tracked this down by getting things running well enough to get the default error dump to the browser, and then checking over that.

Now I need to duplicate this without using global gems (since I can’t upgrade them on the shared host), and the do more debugging on the actual host.

Leave a comment

Comments